Tadiandamol Trek in the Western Ghat Ranges is the third highest peak in the district of Karnataka and the highest peak in the Kodagu District (Coorg). The trail with boulders, flowing stream, plain grassland, buzzing insects, dense trees, and the clouds below us from the peak make this trek definitely one of the best in the Coorg District of Karnataka. Having been here twice, I can share my experience and provide some valuable information, which should definitely help the first-timers as well as mountain enthusiasts.
- 1 Basic Information About Tadiandamol Trek
- 2 How to Reach Tadiandamol Starting Point
- 3 Tadiandamol Base Parking Spots
- 4 Where to Start the Trek?
- 5 Forest Permission and Entry Fees to Tadiandamol Trek
- 6 Tadiandamol Trek and Trail Details
- 7 Cottage and Home Stays at Tadiandamol
- 8 Important Things to Consider while Trekking Tadiandamol
Basic Information About Tadiandamol Trek
Altitude: 5800 Ft Approximately
Trek Distance: 3.75 Km One way from Forest Check Post
Difficulty Level: Easy to Moderate
Total Duration: 4-5 Hours (Including return to base)
Best Time to Visit: Except Summer. September to February (During monsoon and rainy season, please exercise caution. But you will enjoy the scenic view)
Forest Entry Fee: INR 100
Camping at Tadiandamol Peak: Strictly not allowed
If you want to visually experience some of the destinations we cover, please take a look into our instagram page and follow us for updates.
How to Reach Tadiandamol Starting Point
If you are a budget traveler who wish to enjoy only the trek, I recommend you to take public transport.
- One can find direct buses from Bangalore to Virajpet and Mysore to Virajpet. If you are from Kerala, you might get buses to Virajpet, as Virajpet is in Karnataka – Kerala border.
- From Virajpet one can reach the Tadiandamol with help of a local taxi or share autos or Local bus leaving from Virajpet to Talacauvery and get down at Kakkabe (You can ask them to stop at the nearest spot to reach Nalknad palace).
Nearest Airport and Railway Station:
- Mysore Airport and Railway Station
- Kannur International Airport and Railway Station
- Bangalore International Airport and Railway Station
- Coimbatore International Airport and Railway Station
If you don’t belong to the above category, I suggest taking your own vehicle or hire a private taxi. Ensure that you cross Mysore early in the morning so that you get to see Deers, Elephants, and some beautiful birds while crossing the small stretch of Nagarhole Tiger Reserve Forest area. If you are lucky enough you can encounter other wild animals as well. Apart from this, the private vehicle gives you more comfort in reaching the Tadiandamol base without wasting much time. The Destination to reach is 12.234621, 75.640607, or Nalknad Palace.
Tadiandamol Base Parking Spots
The above destination mentioned as Nalknad Palace is the safe spot for parking. Parking at the Nalknad Palace, one can hire a jeep till forest check post or till parking spot 3 as mentioned in the below image. The below image shows the different parking spots for two-wheelers and 4-wheelers. These are not designated parking areas allocated by the Forest department and one should park at their own risk. When I was there, witnessed majority of the vehicle parked in Spot 3.
Where to Start the Trek?
The starting point of the trek is completely dependent on the individual and time one reaches near the base 😀 . Some walk from Kakkabe, a few walk from Nalknad Palace. In recent times, concrete roads have been constructed till Parking spot 3 as shown in the above image. I feel one can start their trek from Parking Spot 2 or 3 as shown in the below image. We started our trek from Spot 2. (Spot 2 to 3 is very near)
Forest Permission and Entry Fees to Tadiandamol Trek
There is a forest check post and rangers, who monitor the entry and exit of People. One can get permission from forest officials after reaching there. We reached the forest check-post by 1.00 PM and luckily we were allowed to trek. We were asked to return back by 3.45 PM. It’s mandatory for one to reach early so that the possibility of getting permitted is maximum. If you are after 2.00 PM, you will not be allowed to trek.
- One should declare the count of plastic and polythene things that they carry to the peak and deposit the same back while getting down. So never miss any plastic bottles or polythene covers in the mountain. You could see in the image that we are carrying plastics, but we trekked responsibly and took back the water bottles.
- Strictly cigarettes and lighters are not allowed to the peak.
Entry fees of INR 100 per head have to be paid to the forest officials. Digital payments are not accepted in the check post.
Tadiandamol Trek and Trail Details
As told already, we started our trek from Parking Spot 2, and there is a small stream near to it. One can fetch water from the stream and continue with the initial ascent. After 5 minutes of the trek, you will reach the boulder point and this is your last access to the shop. This is the point where most of the vehicles are parked (Spot 3). From this point, one would enter into the forest, and trekking for 10 to 15 minutes would take us to the Forest Check Post. The ascent till reaching the forest check post is almost at an inclination of 20º.
Once we reach the check post, we are supposed to declare the plastic that we have in our bags and make an entry in the logs. Making a payment of INR 100 per head we were permitted to enter the trail. After crossing the check post the trail is pretty flat and the initial phase of the trek takes us into the woods. With insects buzzing around all over, one will experience the feel of a jungle and when you trek alone, definitely you might get a thought of getting back and ask whether the trail is the right one.
Choose the Right Peak on Your Left
Once you are out of woods, the trail has an open and almost plain area. From the plain area, the ascent is a bit gradual and after a while the ascend inclines to 45º. In this stretch, we witnessed pugmarks and dung of elephants. If one gets to trek this stretch during monsoon, this area will be completely foggy and one will definitely enjoy it. From here the inclination of the trek starts to increases gradually and at the same time, one would witness a small peak at the right side. Some people try to do this adventurous small peak on the right. But that’s not the real peak and one should consider the left side path.
Final Stretch of Trek
Moving further to the left, the inclination increases around 60º to 70º and now we enter into the thick bamboo forest. This stretch also makes you feel or think whether you are on the right trail. Without any doubt, you can proceed for another 20 minutes and you will reach the open area. Trekking at an inclination of 75º for 15 to 20 minutes, you are almost at the peak. Once you are at the peak, the view is really breathtaking, and standing above clouds gives you immense happiness and peace. No doubt, your mobile network operator will welcome you to Kerala. Yeah, you are at the border of Kerala – Karnataka. You can spend time at the peak and return back from there at least by 3.00 PM to ensure your safety.
The experience of the trek has been narrated here beautifully by Trails of Inju. One can read the article to get the feel of Trek.
Cottage and Home Stays at Tadiandamol
Camping at the Tadiandamol peak is prohibited due to the presence of Wild Animals. But one can witness a decent number of Cottages and Homestays near the base. You can consider staying there to enjoy the wild.
Important Things to Consider while Trekking Tadiandamol
- Carry sufficient cash, as no ATMs are available and digital payments are not accepted at least by the Forest Department.
- Consider taking a first aid kit mandatorily and personal medications.
- Try to start your trek by 10.00 AM in the morning and return by 4.00 PM.
- Leeches are present in huge numbers and one should exercise caution.
- Pack your lunch and carry sufficient water.
- If you feel the climate might be sunny, prefer taking a hat.
- Consider taking earplugs and a trekking pole if you really need it.
- Good Shoes are mandatory for Tadiandamol Trek, especially during monsoons. Please take a look at my article on choosing shoes for treks.
I had narrated the experience of my Tadiandamol trek in a short and informative way. The trails and trek experience can never be described by words. I want you to experience the trek with your rucksack. It’s time for you to pack your rucksack and head to Kodagu. I am waiting to hear about your experience in the comment box below.
If you find this article useful, do share it with your friends with whom you want to plan this trek, or if you feel the article will be needed later for reference, “Pin the below Image” to your Pinterest board. You can do it just by clicking the save button while you hover the image or click the image.